Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Buy and Hold

As sure as birds fly south for the winter, out come the cheerleaders every time a market has a downturn. You have heard it before, the market always comes back, don't sell now you should be buying more etc.

Listening to this garbage has led you to an S&P 500 that will touch a 12 year low before this is over. Banks are already there....

Well I do not know about you, but if I had bought a mutual fund for my retirement only to see it where it was 12 years ago, that would upset me to no end. Then to add insult to injury these cheerleaders touting the same old routine that was fine 12 years ago.

Although I am not a great chartist, looking at the double top over the last 20 years shows me a long term down for the S&P for quite awhile. That is no way to make money.

Who knows, after 10 more years or so, then we can once again buy and let the S&P make us rich but for now that is not the case.

No comments: